Direct Current BV has been established with the mission of making DC possible. To achieve this goal, there are many obstacles to overcome and we focus mainly on the technical hurdles. Many elements for DC grids are absent since the whole world focuses on AC products. To make a DC grid possible we need to innovate a lot.
We are making innovations for the following issues:
- Developing a standard system where DC and communication merge: DC2.
- Safety and selectivity in the DC grid: we develop DC automation and safety systems. Developing a standard for safety classes.
- Voltage levels: we do a lot of research on finding the best standard, there are many initiatives in this area, but these are all developed regarding a specific application. We work from top down to enable a broad application of DC grids in homes, industry, and distribution of medium and low voltage.
- Infrastructure: for large installations with high currents, we develop special DC busses (e.g., in horticulture, data centers or industry).
- Converters: there are many types of converters needed within the standard of communication and voltage range. We develop these converters from several kilowatts to thousands of kilowatts. Where two quadrant operation, durability, efficiency and raw materials are central.